Animal Services Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I need to get my animal registered with the City?

A: A current Rabies Vaccination Certificate ($4.00).

Q: What qualifies as an animal control emergency?

A: A dog/cat bite, vicious animal, injured animal.

Q: How can I adopt a pet?

A: First, fill out an adoption application. We have to make sure the animal is going to a home with the requirements needed for the animal?s welfare. Second, after approval, a Sterilization Contract (available at animal shelter) needs to be filled out. Third, payment of the adoption fee.

Ordinances and Laws

Creating a Health Hazard

Any person who shall harbor or keep on their premises or in or about a premises under their control, any dog, cat or pet animal, and who shall allow their premises to become a hazard to the general health and welfare of the community or who shall allow their premises to give off noxious or offensive odors due to the activity or presence of such animals shall be guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.

Abandonment of Animals

It shall be unlawful to leave any animal in a place without proper food, water and shelter for any period of time.  Any person who might leave an animal at a City Animal Shelter when no animal control staff is present shall be guilty of a Class C misdemeanor.

Animals at Large

It shall be unlawful for any person who owns a dog or cat to allow their animals to run at large at any time.  Owners must keep their animals within an enclosed area at all times to ensure their safety and well being, as well as the safety and well being of others around them.